Town of Tusten

Sullivan County, NY

Eagle Capital of New York State


Until April 15th, 2017

The People Who Make it Happen
(You know who you are)
They save our lives, they plant our flowers.
They work for free for many hours.
They sort our books, they pick up our litter
and I've never seen them be bitter.
They feed our needy, they help the churches,
they never leave you in any lurches.
They help our town in every way and never ask for any pay.
They are all around us in every way and we should thank them every day!

~ by Bernie Creamer;
a Narrowsburg resident for many years

Tusten Stone Arch Bridge

Ten Mile River, Tusten

The Tusten Stone Arch Bridge was constructed in 1896 by William H. Hankins, a local timber raftsman, stone mason and occasional postmaster. The bridge crosses the Ten Mile River just northeast of its confluence with the Delaware River. It is approximately 52 feet long and 15 feet wide and continues to operate as a single lane vehicle bridge for local traffic. The bridge is named in honor of Dr. Benjamin Tusten, “an American militia volunteer and physician, who was killed as he ministered to the wounded at the Battle of Minisink on July 22, 1779 less than ten mile to the south of this settlement.” (1) The bridge and the surrounding land has been owned by the Boy Scouts of America since 1927 for their use an educational camp. Fortunately, through an agreement with the National Park Service, the bridge is publically accessible along the beginning section of the 3-mile Tusten Mountain Trail, an interesting hike with outstanding Upper Delaware Valley scenery. The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Clean Up Day

Municipal Clean Up Dav will be held:

Saturday, April 29 from 9am — 2pm

Tusten Highway Barn on
Rt. 97 in the area of the old transfer station.
Rules are as follows:
Materials must be separated into the following categories:
a)  Appliances & Scrap Metal (washers, dryers, stoves, water heaters, pipes, etc.)
b)  Construction & Demolition Debris & Bulky Wastes (furniture, mattresses, carpets, etc.)

No electronic scrap (computers, monitors, W sets or fluorescent lamps) will be accepted.
No pipes or metal objects over four (4) feet in length. Please cut to proper size for recycling.
No refrigeration and air conditioning units will be accepted.
No fuel tanks, oil drums or propane tanks will be accepted. No full or partially full cans of paint, petroleum products, pesticides or any other hazardous wastes.
No brush, yard wastes, bags of leaves, stumps or rocks.

Tires will be taken for a charge of:

$3 per tire-passenger class 
Commercial class tires [ truck tires ] are $20.00 each

We will NOT TAKE any other Commercial Class tires. 

One pickup truck per household is allowed. Tusten residents only.
No household garbage or commercial wastes of any kind. No commercial entities.

This project was assisted by a grant from the Upper Delaware Council, Narrowsburg, NY 12764

Town of Tusten

210 Bridge Street, Narrowsburg, NY, United States


Clean Up Day will be held: April 29 from 9am — 2pm at the Tusten Highway Barn on Rt. 97  (tires accepted for a fee)
See details below on this page. 

photos by Kelly Dean 

Narrowsburg Beautification Group Wins the 2012 $25,000 Golden Feather Award from Sullivan Renaissance


Ode to the Volunteers

River View

specialty freight & 

shipping services